Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Way It Really Is

Okay, I guess I will come clean and let it all out. When I started this blog I intended to only be optimistic and not put in all the negativity going on in our lives, more so recently. But now I find that harder and harder to do because it's just been one thing after the other for months and I can't just snap back like I used to. Attitude is everything but sometimes things just get to be too much. So I haven't felt like getting on here to let it all out. That said, I'm betting that many of you also have had these kinds of times and challenges and I assume you made it back.

In order to come to this blog, I feel I should just tell it like it is, with a touch of humor added. Today was my test and I passed with flying colors but not to my husband's way of thinking.

Monday was a very rainy and windy day. Hubby went outside and within minutes, managed to fall down three steps and his leg popped and doubled up under him. He was in so much pain and it took awhile to get him in the house. I applied ice, gave him a pain pill and tried to quiet him down so his blood pressure wouldn't go sky high. I called the Medical Clinic and told them what had happened and they told us to go to the Emergency Room. I felt we should keep icing the leg and wait for the pain pill to take effect. Then I decided if any damage had been done and I had ignored checking it out, I would have felt awful for addidng to his pain.

We went to the ER and spent some time while they found a doctor to check him out. They took X-rays of his knee and hip. They found arthritis and fluid on the knee. Not too unusual a finding since we are 71 and 69. Not exactly spring chickens but not ready for the buzzards yet. The doctor told him go home and do just what I had intended to in the beginning. Today we had to go to the Primary Care Physician since it was in the instructions from the hospital. He also said to go home and use heat now but to try to keep his full weight off it. My body is now in the form of a Capital C!

Upon leaving the doctor's office, I think there must have been smoke coming out of my ears because we are on the merry go around of doctors, therapists, etc. and he won't follow any of their orders. Once the pain lets up, the memory goes. Okay, I thought, we will do it HIS way and I dont' want to hear any complaining. We stopped off for breakfast and then it started snowing fast and furious. It was beautiful and euphoric for me because i've spent almost 3 months in house sick with one thing after the other. So I was enjoying the drive home and he was my prisoner.

He never lets me drive so I feel like I must be feeble minded or just around the bend from a nursing home. Well now I had the wheel and I was enjoying the beauty of the snow and driving carefully home. I laughed as I got a little close to his side of the road. He actually jumped and I burst out laughing. I told him he was getting a little bit of his own medicine. All the way home we were bickering, me with laughter and he highly indignant. I found it rather fun to be truthful. Now he was realizing just how it felt to be in the passenger seat, low to the ground and at MY mercy. Jeez, we made it home much too soon to suit me but long enough for him to get the gist of how he made me feel with his fast driving and his narrow misses due to looking at the cars, trucks, etc. He forgets I'm sitting there, hanging on white knuckled, to the car door handle until we arrive safely home.

The snow has stopped, he's his loving, laughing self again and I sit here typing, and laughing. I'm such a witch!

Have a great day everyone.
Hugs

No comments:

Post a Comment